Monday, February 18, 2013

Blueberry Muffins

I've been trying to work out a blueberry muffin recipe that involves as much protein as possible but not too much sugar and is still yummy enough to please the boys.  This one worked well - a mixture of many recipes I looked at.

2 cups almond-coconut milk
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ground flax seed
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tbsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
3 cups frozen blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 375.  Mix milk and apple cider vinegar.
2. Mix together dry ingredients (ground flax seed, flour, almond meal, wheat germ, baking soda, cinnamon, salt).  Add in wet ingredients (maple syrup, brown sugar, olive oil, applesauce, extracts) and milk.  I could have mixed all the wet ingredients together first and then added them but that would have been an extra step and I tend to eliminate those (I was cooking with both Mr. 3 and Mr. 1 at the time and someone was always grabbing something).
3. Stir in frozen blueberries.
4. Bake 25 minutes.  I'm sure you're supposed to cool them but I ended up just breaking one in half just out of the oven and blowing on it until Mr. 1 could eat it.  He gobbled it up and demanded more - even bringing his bowl to the kitchen and desparately reaching for the counter where the muffins were.

Many of the recipes had a struesel topping (sugar, cinnamon, butter, flour, oatmeal) but I skipped it.  I may try it next time but they were delicious just as they were.  I thought about freezing some (I made 24 big muffins and 12 little muffins) but realized our family would eat them in 48 hours so they're all in the fridge instead.

Mr. 1 is a suddenly pickier the last few weeks ad I recently discovered green smoothies.  Why did I never try this before?  He loves fruit but had begun to reject basically all vegetables so you mix frozen blueberries, frozen mango or pineapple, plain yogurt, and apple juice in the blender and add 3-4 handfuls of fresh spinach.  It's amazing - he drank 2 full cups as did Mr. 3 and Mr. 8 (Mr. 10 does not like smoothies - crazy but true).  I would have had more but somehow there wasn't any left.  Veggies into Mr. 1 - success.  I also add pureed sweet potato or squash into our mac and cheese and everyone happily eats it.  Mr. 1 still eats hummus by the spoonful, as much scrambled eggs as I'll give him, and black bean quesadillas so if this is the peak of his crankiness I'll take it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment