Sunday, April 22, 2012

A walk in the woods

I forget how much better everyone is after a day in the woods. Somehow hitting trees with sticks, exploring, throwing rocks in ponds, and generally getting dirty makes everyone better - no matter how frustrating the day started out. Last week was a beautiful spring week - only we live in New England and spring does not typically hit until May so 70 degrees in March is crazy. We got through all our schoolwork and I told the boys we could hike after lunch. When the dishes were cleared away I told them we should get ready. My idea of get ready is to get snacks and water bottles, diapers and kleenex. Their idea is to pack bags with flashlights and headlamps, notebooks (to record clues) and Swiss Army knife. They ransacked the playroom for exploring gear leaving a disaster in their wake. They told me they were ready to go and no one even had shoes on. After I explained that I wasn't quite ready in my not quite patient voice, I put them on baby duty and I finished packing up. We finally made it to the Fells and hiked out to the Panther Cave. The older boys led the way and Mr. 2 and I (with Mr. 0 in tow) followed behind. There was a code invented by these older brothers on the trail. Things like "I'm low on fuel" meaning I need a snack.  Luckily I had packed some fuel or we may not have made it back.  The older boys also wanted to climb up to the tower but Mr. 2 and I weren't quite up to that so instead they played in the stream until I finally dragged 3 wet and dirty kids home.


No matter how hard it is to get out - we never regret our time out hiking.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment