Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Today's chemistry lesson

Today we talked about polar and non-polar molecules and how soap works. I even tried to throw in cell membranes and the phospholipid bilayer but I think that may have been a bit too much. The experiment worked well - water and oil in a jar and then added in soap. I love kitchen chemistry.

We are going to try a nutrition unit following chemistry (Mr. 8 wants to move on to physics but agreed when he found out there was no quantum physics) - a good transition but I have no idea how to do it.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

1 comment:

  1. One idea of how to transition would be discussing how sunlight and chlorophyll and other chemical reactions create nutrients in plants, and then go into how those nutrients play a large role in our own physical chemical reactions. Admittedly that may get into a bit more biology than you were planning to do, but that's my best idea.

    ReplyDelete