Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mr. 7

Mr. 7 has developed a new intense love of math thanks to some algebra formula cards Grandma gave him. He's been interested in Algebra for awhile and this just added to it. We found some math textbooks (used - and incredibly cheap given not everyone shares our family's love of math) and so Mr. 7 is learning algebra and some trig. He has powers down, is fascinated by log, natural log, and pi, and generally does math problems on the back of any sheet of paper.

The boys were recently at a used bookstore (an activity loved by the Daddy but possibly dangerous given the enormous number of books we already have in the house - they don't even fit on all the shelves so there are books piled on top of the books on the shelves) and Mr. 7 found a book on prime numbers that he decided he wanted. He had enough allowance so now he's reading "Prime Numbers: The Most Mysterious Figures in Math" by David Wells. Luckily the Daddy remember more math from college than I do so he's able to help Mr. 7 out as he's getting ahead of me unless I do some serious review. As I have to take my Medicine board exams this summer and am about to start fellowship, I fear reviewing my Trig and Calculus are not at the top of the list. I'll get to it - but I'm not sure if I'm ready to explore the most mysterious figures in math. I'll leave that to the boys.

 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Is Mr. 7 available to cover Jason's math classes while we have the baby??? I think he could teach the high schoolers a thing or two!

    ReplyDelete