Thursday, May 26, 2011

Making my own yogurt

A few months ago I read this great article on making your own yogurt and told David that I really needed to get a yogurt maker. Think what healthy yogurt we could make - organic milk, less sugar, real fruit - and it would be so inexpensive. He was skeptical to say the least but I found a yogurt maker on Amazon with good reviews and added it to my wish list. And then promptly forgot about it. Until this came in the mail.

 
 

A great birthday present! We make our own granola (actually I make our own granola) and now we can have it with homemade yogurt. I couldn't resist making my first batch that night. It couldn't be easier and really is delicious. I used 40 oz of milk and heated it in the microwave until it was warm but not hot. Then I added 1/2 cup of plain yogurt (the starter culture), 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and 5 tablespoons of maple syrup. Then you just pour it in, put on the lid, cross your fingers and go to bed. Sure enough it was yogurt when I woke up. Even Mr. 6 likes it and he is super picky about his yogurt (if it's not vanilla Activia in his lunch he will not eat it - he's a bit more flexible at home). He did add a bit of honey though - not quite up to his sweet tooth. So maybe we'll make it a regular part of our week - make a batch of granola and the yogurt to eat with it.

Now if only we would stop running out of milk...
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking of homemade yogurt recently. I made my own a few times in the crockpot, but that only works in the summer. (I should do that again now that it's warm.) It would be nice to be able to make it even when it's chilly in the kitchen. Do you mind telling me which one you have?

    ReplyDelete