Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Starting the day right

I've noticed that the boys do much better if I make sure they eat some sort of protein in the morning before we start school. This means I had to convince Mr. 6 that breakfast was not 2-3 bowls of cereal (I ended up just not buying it any more because it wasn't worth the argument). So what do we eat? Oatmeal is a big favorite - especially baked oatmeal if I get up in time. Toast with peanut butter. Eggs with cheese (requires 2 hands and a bit of time which does not work many mornings). Avocado and cottage cheese on toast (if I remember to buy avocados). And my favorite, granola and yogurt. It really does make a difference - I have definitely experienced the cereal crash with Mr. 6 around 10:30am and this definitely helps.

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal (from Lynns Kitchen Adventure - the pumpkin is also good)
3 cups quick cooking oats
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup applesauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 apples, peeled and chopped

Mix all ingredients together and stir well.
Place in a 9×13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment