Thursday, September 9, 2010

School Days

 
 
 

Today was the first day of school - the first day of kindergarten for Mr. 5. He was super excited and told me that he didn't need me to go into the room with him. He knew what to do and where to go after watching his big brother for the past 2 years but I asked him if I could go anyways. I needed to be there, to help him, even if he didn't really need my help. So he kindly allowed his mom to follow him into the classroom, watch him put his backpack away, sign in, and sit down at his desk like he's been doing it forever. He was so ready for this day and I still had butterflies in my stomach all day for him. Mr. 7 is not necessarily fond of big crowds and I think the first day back is always a bit stressful for him. It's a new teacher and quite a few new kids in his class (it's a small school but most of the boys from his class last year are upstairs in the other second grade class). He doesn't say so but starting the new year is hard and even this pro was nervous.

I picked the boys up after school. My clinic time had been moved and it wasn't the easiest thing to do - to tell them that I had to leave at 3pm to pick up the kids. For 3 years I had to be at work but now I could go but it means disappointing people at work which is hard. But I'm learning day by day to finally put my family first.

The boys were overflowing with excitement about their day. Mr. 5 said that the day was "awesome" and Mr. 7 said that everything was his favorite. I heard about morning meeting and jobs and recess and I think it was a great day for everyone.

This year we're trying to focus on being a good friend and a respectful student. I don't worry about the academic side - our boys love to read and learn - but they often get lost in their own world and Mr. 7 especialy has a hard time focusing on what someone else thinks is important rather than what he wants to do. My challenge to him was to respond to each teacher or friend that says hello with a hello and a question - about their day, their summer, anything that makes it clear that they are an important person and someone who has interesting things to say. This is really where I hope the boys will grow this year. They love to talk but how well can they listen. Actually that should be my challenge too.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: