Monday, October 4, 2010

Jungle walk

Last week I was on my own with the 3 boys while Daddy visited the Googleplex in California. It was my first time in a long time I was on my own with the boys (residency scheduling is easy to work around) and we did just fine although we were all definitely excited to be back together Thursday night!

On Monday it was raining as we set off for school. Mr. 1 had been up on and off throughout the night and I overslept when I finally got him back to sleep around 3:30am so we were a bit on the late side and everyone was cranky from being rushed out the door. And we really couldn't ride bikes in the pouring rain. Yikes - how to get these guys to hurry to the train?

"Boys, watch out - I think we're in the jungle. Do you see the monkeys in the trees? Oh no, is that a jaguar in the tree? What about that anaconda?"

Luckily our kids love to pretend and they picked it up and ran with it. We ran away from the anaconda, were joined by "Orang" (our friend the orangutan), and discovered jungle magic. It was a hit. That night I had to sign a contract in order to be taught jungle magic (Orang and Jaggy - the jaguar - and Froggy all signed too). Mr. 7 and I have been reading The Dark is Rising series (a wonderful 5 book series by Susan Cooper) and the colors of jungle magic did sound a bit like the six signs.

The jungle world continues - today a tiger tried to sneak onto our train and I'm pretty sure I was on a jungle spaceship at some point. Somehow Mr. 5 always finds the spaceship - no matter where we are!

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading The Dark is Rising in fifth grade and enjoying it very much. Maybe I'll check it out again for First Son.

    Glad to hear everyone is together again without major incidents!

    ReplyDelete