Wednesday, November 23, 2011

No way to win

This morning I ran down to throw in some laundry while the boys were eating breakfast. Just as I finished putting the clothes in the washer Mr. 2 wandered in, spoon in hand, and asked if he could put the clothes in the washer. I told him that it was done but he could turn on the washer. My reasonable offer was met with despair and suddenly there was a pool of distraught toddler on the floor. The screaming continued as I ran upstairs to check on the infant and big kids and when I ran back down he told me his pants were wet. So now I carry a wet, crying toddler up the stairs to change into clean clothes. When we get to the bathroom he starts crying even harder. "I wanted to go up the stairs myself."

Of course when I told him "no", that wet, crying kids cannot climb up themselves, he started in with a whole new round of wailing. In fact, he's still wailing now. Is there any way to win these arguments? Mr. 2 is not one to accept fact or choose one of two options if he doesn't like either. He just asks for new options.

An update: After putting on clean clothes, I decided the spoon that had taken the tour (including an unexpected trip to the bathroom) was no longer fit for breakfast. Of course that did not go well either. Should I just let him use it? This is going to be quite a day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope your day improved!I remember once reading an article about a toddler that collapsed into a full-fledged tantrum because she couldn't take her thumb off her hand and decided it described the age perfectly -- completely irrational responses to the facts of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The simple fact that you posted this at 5:38am explains it all. ;) Poor Mommy! I hope the rest of the morning went better, and let me know if you figure out how to reason with Little Guy. I'm sure Luke is on the same track. ;)

    ReplyDelete