Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pumpkin bread

Or how to keep from eating at Coffee Central every day.

Lately I just can't seem to pack enough snacks for work. So sometime in the late afternoon with consults still to see and many notes still to write, I often find myself in our little coffeeshop for a quick snack. There's really only so many granola bars I can eat in a week and I want something quick and portable and by that time of day I've already eaten my morning snack, some yogurt, some fruit, and lunch. So tonight I decided to make pumpkin bread as my mid-afternoon snack. I've made many recipes but am always up for a new one and I would never think to actually bake anything by actually following a recipe start to finish but this is good so I wanted to remember approximately how I did it.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup applesauce
1 can pumpkin puree
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place applesauce, pumpkin puree, oil, egg in a large bowl. Beat with an electronic mixer on low speed.
Add flour, oats, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon.
Pour batter into loaf pan and bake until done.

An adaptation but it fits the goal of being healthy, filling, and tasty.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! We have an absolute favorite pumpkin bread recipe that we use all the time. (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Downeast-Maine-Pumpkin-Bread/Detail.aspx) So delicious! I adjust it, of course, to use some ground flaxseed, whole wheat flour and wheat germ. It's so moist you can't even tell all that healthy stuff is in there.

    ReplyDelete