Friday, August 10, 2012

Orchard house

Six months ago I bought a Groupon for Louisa May Alcott's house in Concord.  Mr. 9 was reading Little Men at the time and I had never been so it seemed like a great idea.

Fast forward 6 months and the expiration date arrives.  And David is out of town.  I decided I would brave it and take my four boys on my own.  Bold, perhaps.  Foolhardy, likely.

But actually it was great.  Mr. 0 was in the carrier so he was safe and everyone else was attentive and respectful.  Our tour guide started by telling us that 80% of the furnishings of the house are original to the Alcotts and the other 20% original to the period so please don't touch.  And they didn't. 

It was an interesting tour, even if you haven't read Little Women in 20 years.  Bronson Alcott was a very interesting man and very involved in the education of his daughters.  Thoreau and Emerson frequent visitors.  There was even a schedule on the wall for the girls which I really liked and bought a copy of to hang next to our own schedule.  I hope I'm creating great thinkers for the next generation although I doubt our house will ever be on any tour.  Time to find an estate!





No comments:

Post a Comment